No announcement yet.

Vasquez and Marquez Make Big Promises

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vasquez and Marquez Make Big Promises

Boxing fans are by nature very excitable. We can get excited about a fight months before it is scheduled to take place. Can the same be said for the fans of any other sport? And because of our excitable nature we’re sometimes willing to accept just about anything on the promise of an exciting boxing match.

“I will give my life if necessary to win this fight,” said Rafael Marquez (36-3) in reference to his scheduled March 3 bout with Israel Vasquez. “This is going to be the fight of the year,” Vasquez (41-3) added in the press conference to promote the bout.

Okay, okay, we’ve heard this before. But quotes like these are usually all we have to hear to get excited enough to look forward to a fight. Quotes like these raise our expectations and sometimes, set us up for disappointment when a fight fails to meet our preconceived ideas.

Is this just another case of fighters saying all the right things in the press conference? That’s a rhetorical question so you’ll have to answer it for yourself but my boxing fan instincts tell me this one is for real. For the hardcore fan, no hyperbolic press conference was even necessary here.

So coming from these two world-class boxers, we tend to believe them. Both of these guys ring warriors with reputations that precede them among the hardcore boxing fan. And, knowing their styles and the body of work that they’ve created, it’s almost not necessary for them to engage in such boxing overstatement. Did they even engage in overstatement? Probably not. We already know what to expect from them. They have never given anything less. [details]

Yeah it should be a good one many have as a candidate for fight of the year.

Comment

not only will this be FOTY 2007, this has the chance to be one of the greatest action fights the division has ever seen. i cant wait.

Hopefully that damn tennis arena will sell out so we, the viewers at home, can get to see a great atmosphere

Comment

Cant wait for this one!!

Comment

I gotta go with Rafael in this fight.. but it should be a even action packed fight

Comment

See, THIS..., this fight right here??? is the fight you show you're friends that aren't into boxing... this is the kinda fight that does (or damn well should) bring in the new fans to the sport..

Comment

This is the best announced matchup this year so far. FOTY Candidate and one of the best of all time maybe too.

Comment

Let's get it on!

Comment

This Saturday night is going to be a great night for boxing.

Comment

Will this be on the same time as the Cotto fight? I really dont wantit 2 clash with Cotto Urkal or Green Miranda

Comment

Working...
                    X