Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saturday’s Triple-Header: Quantity Over Quality?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday’s Triple-Header: Quantity Over Quality?

William Wordsworth once said to a friend, “I must apologise. If I had more time I would have written you a shorter letter.”

On the February 17th, HBO may find themselves in the same predicament.

In 2006 the broadcaster re-launched the previously successful Boxing After Dark series, but the quality of recent matchups has been subject to intense criticism from observers who remember the show that instigated legends like Arturo Gatti and Marco Antonio Barrera.

“I remember when Boxing After Dark debuted about ten years ago,” boxing writer Ted Bodenrader told BoxingScene. “The first bout was Barrera-Kennedy McKinney, which turned out to be one of the most entertaining slugfests of the decade.

“Then after the David Tua-David Izon war, it certainly found its niche. It seemed to be catered for the hard-core boxing fans.”

But last year B.A.D. lost its reputation as the home of competitive fights between talented prospects. Several main events involved fighters years past their peak such as Sharmba Mitchell and Stevie Johnston and those who’ll never have a notable peak like Timor Ibragimov and Jimrex Jaca.

It used to be a prerequisite that B.A.D. fighters were either highly-touted prospects or respected contenders near the top of their game. Unfortunately, such qualifications were scrapped in 2006. [details]

I think, as an avid boxing fan, the triple header is going to be a real treat despite what the article hints at. Andre Berto is the type of young fighter I'm simply hungry to see while the Powell vs. Smith fight, as said in the article, looks to be real solid. Malinaggi- Cherry is also something I'm interested in seeing. I want to see how Pauli comes off his fight with Cotto- a big name right now. Maybe it's just me...but I'm satisfied with the card..

Comment

Oh for sure im satisfied. What should HBO do cut BAD? Thats just less boxing on TV. I mean its not their fault, Mayweathers cant fight a DLH everyweekend. Theirs bound to be lower class action. These are the type of fights that separate C-B level fights from the A-list stars.

Comment

I think the BAD card is very solid. When Tackie was going to face Berto, you had good match ups top to bottom. Now that he's facing Bravo, this is another showcase fight for Berto. Smith-Powell is a pick'em fight and Cherry-Malignaggi is a solid comeback fight for Paulie...

Comment

I have no problem with saturday's card.I love triple headers!Hell,I wish they would start televising whole cards.

Comment

Seems like we're all pretty satisfied with the BAD card this weekend. Maybe boxing writers are getting out of touch with what the fans want to see.

Comment

im completely disagree with everything this article said. Every single fight will be entertaining, even the berto fight.

Comment

I'm looking forward to this Saturday for sure.

Comment

OK, this article pisses me off.

Do boxing writers actually like boxing? This is a valid question, because it seems like a lot of times they don't.

They seem to take every opportunity to whine and complain. Sometimes it is important to be outspoken about problems in boxing. In this case however, we are being treated to a card with 3 good fights. The card showcases one of the best prospects in boxing in Andre Berto, fighting a tough exciting journeyman fighter in Bravo. Berto will win, but it will be an exciting fight and great to see Berto and how he is developing. We then get Ishe Smith versus Powell, two highly skilled guys who match up on paper very evenly, both up and comers, and I think that this is a chance for us to see how good Ishe Smith actually is. Then in the main even we get Paul Malignaggi, a very exciting and flamboyant young boxer who gave Miguel Cotto a very competitive fight and showed tremendous heart, against Edner Cherry, one of the best action fighters in boxing and also a young guy who shows some promise.

Oh, and this card is FREE!!! What the hell is this writer's problem? If you don't like boxing, go write about another freaking sport and spare us you moping, whining, garbage articles complaining about an excellent fight card that is being brought to us free of charge.

Comment

Working...
                  X