No announcement yet.

As Goes The Heavyweights, So Goes Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As Goes The Heavyweights, So Goes Boxing

How many times have you heard the following, “the heavyweight division sucks!”, “the heavyweight division is boxing’s glamour division”, “as General Motors (GM) goes, so goes America.”

Most of us have heard the first two. If you are older or aware of the history of the American economy then you’ve also heard the last one. The premise of the comment was that GM employed a certain amount of people that made cars, car parts and the like. Those cars were then sold in car lots that employed salesmen, office workers, mechanics, managers, and others. In turn, as the automobile, specifically GM autos such as Chevy, Cadillac, and Buick hit the road and started to break down, even more jobs were created at gas stations and repair shops.

In short, their one company was the largest corporation in America (in terms of its revenues as a percent of GDP), and as a result they were responsible for the livelihood of so many Americans that if they failed as a company it would endanger the economy in our country as a whole.

However, this notion could not continue if the United States was to continue to grow economically. So the economy shifted and became diversified to survive and grow. It had to. Had the United States not put policies in place to allow this to happen our economy would have become stagnate and eventually regressed. To put it simple, you can’t put all of your eggs (investment) in one basket, because sooner or later something bad will happen to those eggs and leave you without the money from the investment to implement a new plan of attack. [details]

The 1990's was baiscally carried by a deep heavyweight era. No one will actually remember who the light heavyweight, middleweight or lightweight champs from the 90's were. People that say the 1990's was a weak era for heavyweights are pretty stupid. Cuz it was the 2nd best era after the 1963-1977 era.

Comment

As Goes The Heavyweights, So Goes Boxing, a very old adage.
      But very true.

Comment

i think its a great article and i agree that is the boxing fans' responsibility to keep boxing alive through the promotion of the fights and fighters that do matter. we have some great divisions atm so **** the heavies.

Comment

Good article, but I don't think you can treat all the weight divisions equally. The lower you go, the less interesting it is. There's nothing like a heavyweight showdown. I follow all divisions from 135 up, but I have to admit that the higher it is the more intensely I watch. It's one thing to say you can whup anyone in the house, and another to say 'only if they don't weigh more than 147 pounnds.'

Comment

I prefer the lighter weights myself and Kayjay you are missing some beasts at 118 and 122. They lighter weights are much more skilled in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyChacon View Post
              I prefer the lighter weights myself and Kayjay you are missing some beasts at 118 and 122. They lighter weights are much more skilled in my eyes.
              Yeah that's what everyone says, and I believe the little guys have boxing skills. But I think it loses something primal when I know I wouldn't fear the guys I'm paying to watch fight. How is a 190lb man suppose to watch two 118 pounders fight without a bit of snickering?

Comment

those 118lbers would probably knock you out.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyChacon View Post
                  Not really, altough I know where you coming from, but HW boxing is completely different game then lighter weights boxing. There is much less room for a beautiful manuevering, since it is much easier to get ko'd.
                  But I agree, these lighter guys look much more graceful in the ring, but when I see the big boys go at it, as KayJay said, there is something primeval in that/

Comment

Working...
                  X