No announcement yet.

Mosley-Collazo: High Speed Collision; With A Twist

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosley-Collazo: High Speed Collision; With A Twist

LAS VEGAS – When he was just turning pro Luis Collazo used to watch Shane Mosley work his magic on television. Mosley had been a lightweight world champion and had moved up to welterweight, which is where Collazo began his career.

“When I was a kid coming up I always watched Shane,’’ Collazo said. “I liked what he did in the sport. Me and my trainer always said, “I’d like to fight this guy one day.’’

Collazo’s “one day’’ has arrived. He will fight Mosley in a 12-round match for the World Boxing Council welterweight title at the Mandalay Bay Event Center on Saturday night on HBO.

This is Collazo’s second opportunity to make a big name for himself in the sport. He lost a close decision to Ricky Hatton in a match that most people thought he should have won in Boston last June. Collazo’s southpaw style confounded Hatton and Collazo actually rocked Hatton in the 12th round. But the judge’s didn’t see it Collazo’s way.

“I believed going into the fight I was the world champion,’’ said Collazo, who was indeed the World Boxing Association champ. “I outboxed him when I needed to. I pushed him back when I wanted to and I just controlled the whole fight. He was the favorite going into the fight. That’s the type of sport we’re in. So, I just have to keep going forward and make the best out of it.’’ [details]

Mosley hasn’t fought a southpaw in over a decade.
    I think what you mustve meant is mosely hasnt beat a southpaw, as Winky Wright and Raul Marquez (who he got that NC against) are both southpaws. But I've been thinkin that this is the thing that'll give him problems, I was thinking that Mosely would win by KO but after I considered the southpaw aspect I'm thinking Mosely by a UD. He did fight a southpaw in Oscar Lopez who was 17-6-1 in his tenth fight back in '94 and that was his only fight to go to the cards until he lifted the title from Philip Holiday so I think that southpaw style doesnt suit Mosely. However, the last fight against Winky was close despite the stance, and I really don't think Colazo is the caliber of fighter the Wright is.

Comment

Working...
    X