Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chasing Marciano’s Ghost: What’s in a Record?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chasing Marciano’s Ghost: What’s in a Record?

Just a little more than fifty-one years ago, a short, compact punching machine by the name of Rocky Marciano hung up the gloves for the last time. There are varying reports as to why he retired at the relatively young age of 32; but in doing so, he became the only champion of the division to walk away from the sport without ever suffering defeat, never to return.

In 1905, World Heavyweight Champion James J. Jeffries retired with an undefeated record of 17-0-2 (14 ko’s); but then returned five years later at the age of 35 to be slowly dismantled by then-champion Jack Johnson.

The only other heavyweight champions to retire with the belt and never re-enter the ring were Gene Tunney and Lennox Lewis and both had suffered defeat before their retirements, leaving Marciano as the only former heavyweight champion with a completely unblemished record upon his exit from the prize ring. He was small by today’s Cruiserweight standards and defended his title only six times in his three-year reign, yet is revered as one of the greatest heavyweight champions of all time by most boxing experts. Why? The “0”? [details]

Great article, even if a bit lengthy. Good read for anyone that has a couple minutes, great analysis of why Valuev still has much to prove and his record dont mean ****.

Comment

Originally posted by baserocks View Post
      Great article, even if a bit lengthy. Good read for anyone that has a couple minutes, great analysis of why Valuev still has much to prove and his record dont mean ****.

Thank you for taking the time to read it.

Comment

thats Larry holmes' record

Comment

Originally posted by realheavyhands View Post
          thats Larry holmes' record
          Would have been if he had fought the first Spinks fight the way he did the second.

He was robbed in #2; but #1 was a legitmate loss. Larry blew it.

Comment

Records don't mean much. Look at Chavez Jr. right now - his record is 29-0-1 but look at who he's beaten. He didn't have an amateur background, so I don't see any problem with how many fights he's had against that opposition - but that doesn't mean that with that record he is comparable to Cotto, Margarito, or Cintron at that weight...

If Valuev fights Tye Fields, there will only be one loss between the two. I'd much rather see a double-digit loser in Glen Johnson fight or a 7-loss Jose Luis Castillo in a heartbeat...

Comment

Originally posted by neils7147933 View Post
              Records don't mean much. Look at Chavez Jr. right now - his record is 29-0-1 but look at who he's beaten. He didn't have an amateur background, so I don't see any problem with how many fights he's had against that opposition - but that doesn't mean that with that record he is comparable to Cotto, Margarito, or Cintron at that weight...

If Valuev fights Tye Fields, there will only be one loss between the two. I'd much rather see a double-digit loser in Glen Johnson fight or a 7-loss Jose Luis Castillo in a heartbeat...
              Exactly!

Comment

It'd be cool if Valuev got in a horrible car accident and had to retire from boxing. lol

Comment

mike tyson said it best when he beat marcianos knockout string starting his career, "u cant take sumthing away from somebody who originated it" but this valvue or whatevers his name is needs to learn sum humility, so i hope b4 he reaches it he gets his ass stomped

Comment

Originally posted by sleazyfellow View Post
                    mike tyson said it best when he beat marcianos knockout string starting his career, "u cant take sumthing away from somebody who originated it" but this valvue or whatevers his name is needs to learn sum humility, so i hope b4 he reaches it he gets his ass stomped
                    I honestly don't think it's "him" persay that's making a big deal out of his record as much as it is King to try to drum up interest. I guarantee you his 49th fight, well 50th technically, will be against one of the bigger names.

Comment

Working...
                    X