No announcement yet.

Danny "Little Red" Lopez: Saad before Saad

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danny "Little Red" Lopez: Saad before Saad

Watching Danny "Little Red" Lopez come up the aisle in the 70's wearing an Indian headdress in honor of his American Native father who was a Ute (though Danny fought like a Mexican warrior reflecting his mother's heritage) kind of bridged the gap between old school and modern. It also sent chills down my spine. It was the beginning of the interesting walk-ins that later would be perfected by Roy Jones, Prince Naseem, Ricky Hatton and others. But "little Red" was an old school fighter all the way demonstrating uncommon courage and tenacity inside the ring and humility outside. [details]

I have nothing but love for Lopez, but he is not anywhere on the level of a guy like Saad Muhammad, Muhammad was very exicitng, but he was also an all time great fighter, Lopez was just entertaining more along the lines of Micky Ward

and im sorry but Lopez doesn't belong in the World Boxing Hall of Fame, but thats Boxing they let anyone in.

Comment

Testing Testing

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Jose View Post
        I have nothing but love for Lopez, but he is not anywhere on the level of a guy like Saad Muhammad, Muhammad was very exicitng, but he was also an all time great fighter, Lopez was just entertaining more along the lines of Micky Ward

and im sorry but Lopez doesn't belong in the World Boxing Hall of Fame, but thats Boxing they let anyone in.
        I don't know to much in detail about Lopez career, but Ward can't touch Lopez with a mile long pole.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Jose View Post

Lopez was far better than Ward. He beat a very good Kotey for a title, defended it numerous times....including an all-time great fight with the excellent Mike Ayala. Danny had the misfortune of running into Salvador sanchez, a great fighter who absolutely ate fighters like Danny up....

I appreciate your love of Sadd, one of my all-time faves. But, you are way off when you criticize Lopez because someone compared him to Saad.
          Yes, Saad was the better fighter, but they were both perfect TV fighters....& excellent fighters in general.

Comment

"Little Red"

Never could quite comprehend why Little Red had not been nominated into Hall of Fame. Everytime I read one of your articles (which I always look forward to) I find out so much more about a fighter than I thought I already knew. Another great one!

Comment

Man I thought this had something to do with me for a second.

Comment

I love you quote: "Work went by faster on Fiday knowing you wouls see Danny Little Red Lopez fight on Saturday" Absolutly true. Keep these great articles coming!

Comment

Booda, it's all about political at the Hall. Why is Bert Sugar and LeRoy Neiman in there when Lopez is not? WTF!

Comment

Over the years , I have greatly enjoyed going to the International Boxing Hall of Fame. The opportunity to break bread with the boxers and trainers is something special to anticipate. And I willingly and gladly have supported the Hall and will continue to do so. But reluctantly, 2007 may be my last venture to Canastota, not because the wrong boxers or trainers were selected. Heavens no, the three modern fighters were outstanding and worthy inductees. No, it might be for another reason.

My simple rule of thumb has always been that no one should be inducted into this hallowed Hall unless he or she took part in an activity that impacted the outcome of a fight in a meaningful way. Refereeing and training are such activities. Promoting, writing, announcing, commentating, observing, and painting are not. IMO

Comment

Working...
                    X