Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 25 Heavyweights (As of December, 2006)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 25 Heavyweights (As of December, 2006)

November gave us some clear answers and some fuzzy questions about where the division will go next year.

Wladimir Klitschko separated himself from the rest of the division with a blow out of the talented Calvin Brock. His combination of power, speed, and boxing skills is unmatched in the division. While his chin will always be questioned, it will take a big hitter to even have a chance. No one will outbox him.

Shannon Briggs made the most of his long-awaited shot but just in the nick of time. Far behind in the fight, Briggs stopped Serguei Liakhovich in the waning seconds of the final round. Let’s be honest, neither man looked like a world beater. Lots of posing and not a lot of punching.

Oleg Maskaev will hopefully end his defense against Peter Okhello early enough that it allows him to return to action soon --- against a qualified challenger. It seems that the sanctioning bodies are doing everything in their power to out-stupid each other and the sanctioning of this title bout is this month’s WBC contribution.

In the 25th spot on this list you’ll see the name Alexander Povetkin. Go ahead and throw your stones --- I know it’s risky putting a 9-0 fighter in the top 25. The former Olympic gold medal winner has the ability, if the not the track record, to contend for a top spot soon. [details]

Sadly enough, Holyfield should be rated above Povetkin.
    He has no business in the top 25.
    HW ratings are not based on what a figher "could do" but what he has done.

Comment

Originally posted by PBF34 View Post
      Sadly enough, Holyfield should be rated above Povetkin.
      He has no business in the top 25.
      HW ratings are not based on what a figher "could do" but what he has done.
      Following your logic, they should definitely put Ali on the list-- He has done more than anyone on the list.

Comment

I think that must be the most depressing list yet. Call me naive but I only just twigged that Toney "lost" to Sam Peter probably because of his poor showing against Rahman... so the status of their supposed fan favourite shifted towards the heavier hitter after Toney didn't deliver the goods.

I guess Holyfield should be in the fringe mentions with a win over Oquendo... not a lot there to inspire though, is there? I mean, when one of the most exciting names is a guy that's been out of action for about ten months it says a lot. Other than Little Klit there's nothing there.

Nice to see Danny "Humdilla" Williams still in the mix though.

Comment

This is the best list I've seen from JE Grant, mine is a little different but not that far off, I put Maskaev higher then 4 because he beat Rahman and Rahman had Vitali's belt "even though Rahman didn't fight Vitali" so in my opinion that was the real belt.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
            I think that must be the most depressing list yet. Call me naive but I only just twigged that Toney "lost" to Sam Peter probably because of his poor showing against Rahman... so the status of their supposed fan favourite shifted towards the heavier hitter after Toney didn't deliver the goods.

I guess Holyfield should be in the fringe mentions with a win over Oquendo... not a lot there to inspire though, is there? I mean, when one of the most exciting names is a guy that's been out of action for about ten months it says a lot. Other than Little Klit there's nothing there.

...The Tyson pummeling is always fun to watch.

Comment

Surprised Minto isn't mentioned in the "honorable mentions" list proceeding the top twenty-five since his exciting win over Axel Schulz in Germany.

And not sure why David Tua is rated # 19 after just beating 2 tomato can fighters this year. As I recall there were alot of posters here protesting Shannon Briggs' heavyweight ranking before TKO-ing Liahovich in a similiar situation. IMO, Tua has to beat someone of mention to start to climb the rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post

He's fighting for the British in February. If the venue is as rumoured Williams is going to have one hell of a shock - I bet his front room is bigger.

Comment

Working...
                X