No announcement yet.

Filling the Void Left by Floyd

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling the Void Left by Floyd

When a star attraction such as Floyd Mayweather, Jr. enters a weight class, he alters its equilibrium; perhaps even inhibiting its growth. Naturally, fighters of lesser financial appeal seek to engage him and reap the rewards offered by his pound-for-pound prestige while many more entertaining matches go unmade.

But as quick as the “Pretty Boy” gathered his desired statistic as the legitimate welterweight champion, he has relinquished it in pursuit of a final green belt owned by one Oscar de la Hoya. The promotional pleasantries of that super-fight shall soon begin; but what of the division Mayweather, Jr. leaves behind?

Carlos Baldomir’s Cinderella story is over; but unless he is unreasonably frivolous, he will never have to sell another feather duster. Therefore, with dominance of the welterweight division fair game, we turn our attentions to any fighter talented and hungry enough to challenge for it. This weekend, four such fighters collide in a welterweight championship doubleheader; at least three of which are eligible suitors.

Puerto Rico is spoiled for choice of world class welterweights. Fate determines that two of them, both unbeaten, shall meet in this weekend’s main event; with a third, Kermit Cintron, of Puerto Rican heritage, in waiting. Miguel Cotto and Carlos Quintana deserve their moment on the great stage; though they walked very different paths to reach it.

From the beginning, the shadow of once great Puerto Rican champion Felix Trinidad cast itself over Cotto, and pressure from fans to succeed Trinidad gnawed at him. Always, Cotto responded that he and his followers must be content for him to forge his own legacy apart from his predecessors. He has; and it contains enough success and controversy to be a tale worthy of its own telling. [details]

The void will be filled by the Williams-Margarito winner although I dont know how long either of them will be there either but whoever wins that fight will be hard to beat. Lets just hope in pops off.

To be real about it though, I dont understand why people keep saying that Floyd is gone. I dont think he is going to retire & there is no way he will stay at 154 because after Oscar all the money is at WW, so I think Floyd will fight Oscar at 154 and then be right back down to see Margarito, Shane, or whoever.

I dont think there is any way he will retire if he wins and the only 2 fights that will keep him at 154 is a possible P4P showdown with Winky and a big money monster with Tito but he only said that he will fight at 160 so I doubt it. However, I do think Floyd will go to 160 for a Tito fight

Comment

PBF is good but there wont be any void when he goes. Theres plenty of good boxers to go around. He shouldnt be going anytime soon if he knows whats good for him anyway!

Comment

I think it's more a case of who is the heir apparent to the welterweight division now that Floyd is leaving.

Paul Williams has HBO showcasing him, and unlike when they did the same for Margarito a couple of years ago, it will have to be Margarito to step up and give Williams a big fight unlike every other welterweight that didn't bother to fight Margarito when they could have.

It's likely that this fight is a step to that fight for Margarito in the event that whoever wins the main event on Saturday doesn't want to fight him either.

Quintana is seriously talented and has a shot to win this one with Cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by Castillofan View Post
          I think it's more a case of who is the heir apparent to the welterweight division now that Floyd is leaving.

Paul Williams has HBO showcasing him, and unlike when they did the same for Margarito a couple of years ago, it will have to be Margarito to step up and give Williams a big fight unlike every other welterweight that didn't bother to fight Margarito when they could have.

It's likely that this fight is a step to that fight for Margarito in the event that whoever wins the main event on Saturday doesn't want to fight him either.

Quintana is seriously talented and has a shot to win this one with Cotto.
          The Williams fight should be next after Clottey.

Comment

Originally posted by ferocity View Post
            The Williams fight should be next after Clottey.
            It is a mandatory, and really, Williams has done nothing except blast out Sharmba Mitchell - which just about everyone is doing these days - so Margarito could refuse him if he wanted and focus on another champion.

He probably won't though, seeing as HBO getting behind Williams a little gives him some steam for Margarito as incentive.

Comment

Working...
            X