Gervonta Davis’ promoter was in no mood Monday to entertain speculation regarding Devin Haney’s supposed willingness to replace Rolando Romero on short notice before Isaac Cruz secured that assignment.
A reporter for Boxing Social, a YouTube channel with operations based in England, asked Leonard Ellerbe during a virtual press conference if he could confirm whether he had contact with Eddie Hearn, Haney’s promoter, about the possibility of the unbeaten WBC world lightweight champion stepping in for Romero late last month.
Hearn told Boxing Social and other outlets before Mexico’s Cruz was named as Romero’s replacement that Haney would fight the dangerous Davis on approximately five weeks’ notice.
“F--- Eddie Hearn! F--- Eddie Hearn,” Ellerbe, Mayweather Promotions’ CEO, stated during a virtual press conference to promote the Davis-Cruz fight. “We here to talk about Isaac Cruz. We’ve got a big pay-per-view fight on December the 5th.”
Davis, 27, and Cruz, 23, will headline Showtime Pay-Per-View’s four-fight event scheduled for the first Sunday night in December at Staples Center in Los Angeles.
Romero (14-0, 12 KOs) was supposed to challenge Baltimore’s Davis (25-0, 24 KOs) for the WBA’s secondary 135-pound championship December 5, but he was removed from their bout because a woman reported an alleged sexual assault by Romero to police in Henderson, Nevada. The 26-year-old Romero has not been charged with a crime, but the alleged incident is under investigation.
Two days after Romero was officially pulled from the Davis fight, Cruz was officially named as Romero’s replacement. Haney, despite his interest, would’ve been a much more expensive opponent for Davis and was not seriously considered as Romero’s replacement.
Cruz (22-1-1, 15 KOs) is the WBA’s second-ranked contender for Davis’ title. Romero, of North Las Vegas, Nevada, is ranked number one by the WBA in the 135-pound division.
“I don’t know anything about the [Romero] situation,” Hearn told Boxing Social late in October, “but I spoke with Devin and said, ‘Are you happy to put your name in the mix?’ And he said, ‘Yeah,’ because at the moment ‘No-Go’ Diaz has not signed his contract after being offered more to fight Devin Haney than he was getting to fight Ryan Garcia. So, we’ll have to see what happens. We want to make the ‘Jo Jo’ Diaz fight, but he has to hurry up and sign the contract.”
Diaz (32-1-1, 15 KOs), of Downey, California, signed his contract soon thereafter to challenge Las Vegas’ Haney (26-0, 15 KOs) in a main event DAZN will stream December 4 from MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.