Oscar De La Hoya, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, is backing Gervonta "Tank" Davis vs. Ryan Garcia to do a massive pay-per-view number.
De La Hoya, who promotes Garcia (23-0, 19 KOs), is came together with Premier Boxing Champions, Showtime and DAZN to make the Davis (28-0, 26 KOs) fight happen.
“We’re all working together to blow this one out of the water,” De La Hoya said on The MMA Hour. “We want to make sure that this event here, because it’s such a special fight, we want to make sure that this fight does 2, 2.5, 3 million homes. This is that type of event. Realistically, [it does] close to 2.5."
The target date is April 15, likely at a venue in Las Vegas.
Davis was in the ring earlier this month and stopped unbeaten Hector Luis Garcia. Garcia was going to take an interim-fight, but decided to bypass that scenario and wants to go straight to the Davis showdown.
De La Hoya has a contract in hand and expects the deal to get finalized.
“It’s real,” De La Hoya said. “I can assure you it’s going to happen April 15. A hundred percent. It’s a matter of just crossing the ts, dotting the is. We have the contract in our hands. It’s a very complex, very complicated contract, these big fights take a big deal of patience and negotiations.
“But it’s actually been a pleasure to work with the other side, with PBC. Making this fight, they understand that this is the biggest fight in boxing to make. This is a fight where you have two undefeated fighters, you have two fighters who are in their prime. You have two fighters who are the best at what they do, so yeah, this is the biggest fight that boxing can have. So I’m excited about it.
“You have DAZN, you have Showtime. You know Showtime always does a great job in putting these types of events together. But when you’re collaborating with a DAZN in this instance, you have to share territories, the split of revenues, it’s very complex, but we were able to put it together.”