By Carlos Boogs
Last year, former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (48-2-1, 32KOs) says he was looking forward to a possible fight with Gennady "GGG" Golovkin.
The match didn't happen when Chavez couldn't reach an agreement with his promoter Top Rank. He claimed that he only owed them a single fight and had no options - but the promotional company felt otherwise.
Eventually a legal battle began between Chavez and Top Rank - causing the Golovkin fight to fall apart.
Chavez Jr. had no complains regarding the contract presented to face Golovkin. He claims Top Rank refused to remove a clause which gave them future options.
Eventually the lawsuit was settled when a deal was reached between Top Rank and Chavez's adviser, Al Haymon.
"I was very upset [that fight didn't happen]. I was so upset with the problems that I had that I thought about retiring as a result of that. I was real excited about the fight because everyone wanted the fight. That was the moment to have the fight because I wasn't inactive for a year. Top Rank was claiming that I was scared to take the fight, but that wasn't the case. They wanted a five-fight extension that I wasn't going to take," Chavez Jr. said.
Chavez returns to the ring next Saturday night at the Don Haskins Center in El Paso, Texas. He takes on Marcos Reyes on a Premier Boxing Champions card. Chavez saw action earlier this year, when he was knocked out in a light heavyweight contest against Andrzej Fonfara.